10 Tips for Wedding Day Beauty
I can’t believe it’s already June. Summer is just around the corner and I’m officially back from a long maternity leave. It’s been such a sweet time with my family and I thank everyone for all their love, support and patience during this time. I’ve had this article in my back pocket for awhile but I think it’s perfect right now as the wedding season is revving up. I’ve asked my dear friend and favorite makeup artist Aimee Lam from Aimee Makeup Artistry to help us with her top tips for wedding day beauty. These are great suggestions and many are great for our every day beauty regimen. Thanks again Aimee!
1) Drink water: Keeping yourself well hydrated goes a long way for your skin texture and overall health. Drinking 6-8 glasses of water/day helps slow down your aging process, combat some skin disorders such as dryness and spots and remove toxins.
2) Eat right: Include lots of vegetables and fruits in your diet. Everyone is different but in general avoid certain food that may cause sensitivity and break out problems like alcohol, sweets, salty and fried food. Our skin truly is a reflection of our total body health.
3) Love your skin: Are you happy with how your skin look & feel? If not, identify the problem. If it’s not as simple as a lack of hydration, see a dermatologist right away. Brides should seek help from a professional instead of just trying new products that may put your skin at risk.
4) Find your makeup artist: Spend some time researching for a makeup artist whose style matches the look you’re going for and has a great work ethic. If your wedding planner is your best friend for the day, your makeup artist is your second best friend. Not only can your artist make you gorgeous, but can also make you feel beautiful and confident.
5) Choose your hairstylist: Find someone that is familiar with your kind of hair texture and volume. Look through the portfolio and see if their work fits the style you’re going for. Also, communicate with your hairstylist to see how you should prepare for the trial and wedding day.
6) Goodbye to dryness & fine lines: Get your eye cream and start using it every day & night now. Most women overlook this problem. But as a makeup artist working with faces so close & personal, I believe every woman after 25 need to start using eye cream. Ask for help at the counter to see which one is best for your skin type & need. Younger and less dehydrated skin needs a lighter version, while more matured skin needs a creamier one with anti-wrinkle ingredients.
7) Cool down the puffiness: Allergies or your sleeping position can contribute to temporary puffiness. Try neti pot to relieve fluid build up caused by a cold, sinus congestion or allergies. If you’re a side sleeper, try to sleep on your back to avoid this problem.
8) Lighten the dark circles: Try an eye cream with SPF for the morning and a hydrating eye cream for night. Place cold spoons, chilled tea bags or a package of frozen peas under your eyes (with a thin towel in between) in about 3 min increments.
9) Smooth & boost your skin: You have to exfoliate! A lot of clients have dead skin and black-heads built up around the nose and/or other parts of face, which will cause the foundation to sit on top of the rough skin instead of blending in flawlessly. Exfoliate either with a clay or hydration mask every week, or the Clarisonic electronic brush, or using a gentle facial scrub cleanser. Your natural skin texture determines how flawless and long lasting your makeup will be later. When you take good care of yourself, your artist can make his/her work looks ten times better.
10) The perfect kiss: Before your makeup trial and your wedding day, be sure you keep your lips well exfoliated and moisturized. Dry, chapped lips are un-sexy. There are many ways to exfoliate your lips. Check out some great tips from Oralabs.com.
Photo courtesy of Chris and Kristen Fine Art Photography